Sunday, July 15, 2012

Desserts for the Deserving 2012

I was lucky enough to be able to participate in
A wonderful idea started last year by Amanda Rettke of iambaker.
What a generous and thoughtful heart she has!

It was really hard for me to choose something for this project.
I wanted it to be beyond yummy. And eye catching.
And really special.
In the end, I chose one of my favorite recipes and
did up a dozen in a way that I'd been wanting to try for a while.
Cupcakes in cute little jars. Not a new idea.
There's even a book out about it now.
But I hadn't gotten around to it yet so it was new to me.
Not quite as eye catching as I'd hoped but
perhaps it will still earn some points for yummy.

It had to be chocolate.
Isn't that the ultimate comfort food?
But how to mail chocolate anything in the heat of summer?
In jars! With teensy-tiny forks to stab even the smallest of morsels.

I froze everything before it was mailed in hopes it wouldn't be a gooey mess on arrival.
But even that wouldn't be too terrible unless you can't find a spoon.
What's not to like about chocolate and espresso?
A very large percentage of customers at the local Starbucks could answer that one.

I added in some chocolate vermicelli
(a really fancy name for jimmies)
since sprinkles almost always improve a situation.
And they're off in the morning to hopefully brighten
some one's day clear across the country.

Thanks Amanda for letting me play a very small part
in your plan to unite bakers together for a larger cause.

UPDATE:
from www.settingthemood.biz

from www.bhg.com
Really wish I'd have seen these ideas for the
jar toppers before I sent the package out.
It would have been so much cuter than my uninspired
(but matching!) scrapbooking circle toppers.
And so appropriate since there were cupcakes inside.
Oh well. Next time . . . 
Thanks for stopping by! 

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Your jars were just as cute! How did they make it to their destination? Great idea!

Deborah Stauch said...

Hi Colleen,
Thanks for the kind words. The recepient said they made it there fine and tasted great, even after a longer than I'd hoped for delivery time. They were packed in a styrofoam mailing box with lots of bubble wrap to prevent any shifting.
Happy Caking!

jeany said...

These are so pretty,can I ask where you sourced the darling little forks please :)
Jean

Deborah Stauch said...

The mini forks were from my local party store but I've even seen them in some grocery stores lately.